When it comes to preparing for a residential move, there is never enough time in each day to get everything done. You must make plans for your move, purge, pack, and do all of this often while your current house in on the market. When it comes time to pack up your belongings, consider these time saving tips to make the move more smooth and efficient.
Tips to Make Your Move as Efficient as Possible
- Start as early as possible: You often know that you are going to be moving before your moving day is set. Use that time while you are making plans to begin to organize your current home for your move. One key aspect of this is purging. There is no reason to pack and then move items that you never use. A good rule of thumb is to think about whether you have used an item in a certain period of time (1-2 years) and if it’s not a keepsake/heirloom and, if it’s not being used, consider donating or selling the item BEFORE you move.
- Write down your plans: Take a moment to draft your plans for your move in a notebook. Make a list each week of the things you want to accomplish so that you are not scrambling at the last minute.
- Stock up on packing materials: Nothing is worse than running out of what you need. Stock up on packing materials (boxes, tape, scissors, etc.) so that when it is time to move, you have what you need and do not have to spend time running out to replenish your supply.
- Pack each room separately: Think about the layout of your new home and try to pack each room such that you can unpack efficiently as well. Other helpful tips include moving clothing in drawers of a dresser, using garbage bags to move clothing on hangers and use zip lock bags for your jewelry.
- Label all boxes carefully: Labeling boxes clearly so that they end up in the right place is important when it comes to saving time unpacking.
- Hire Help: Hiring help can perhaps save you the most time. The more help you have, the less time you will have to spend packing, loading, unloading and unpacking.
- Fuel your body: Keep in mind that moving is exhausting for everyone. Make sure that you and your family eat well and drink water during the move to keep your energy up.
Local Residential Moving Company in Connecticut
Capitol Moving & Storage specializes in providing high quality moving and storage services to those in the Connecticut and western Massachusetts area. We offer unmatched customer service, affordable pricing and our commitment to take great care of your belongings. Let our team save you time on your next move. Call us at 860-282-4646 for a free estimate.